MaterCare International works hard to support mothers and families in providing the best possible care for their children. That's why we're proud to announce that MCI's St. John Paul II Maternity Hospital in Isiolo has once again hosted an educational breastfeeding workshop. This annual event helps to overcome some of the perceived obstacles to breastfeeding and offers community events and educational information.
We'll be sharing photos of these events soon on our Facebook page.
The Huffington Post had a great article here on how you can support breastfeeding moms;
Breastfeeding can be a challenge, so it's important to help moms through this critical time. Here are a few ways family and friends can support breastfeeding moms:
• Learn about breastfeeding. From nursing magazines to scientific journals, gather as much information as you can. The first step towards helping a breastfeeding mom is to understand what she's going through.
• Connect with experts. Doctors, nurses, breastfeeding counselors or even friends that are also breastfeeding are great resources. Everyone has a different experience, so stay in touch with them and gather useful tips.
• Take over household responsibilities. Do the laundry, mop the floor, do the dishes, take out the trash, cook, and even run a bath for the mom. Provide a clean, relaxing environment so the mom can focus solely on taking care of the baby.
• Connect with the baby. Nursing is hard work, and it's important to show the mom that she's not alone. Show her that you care about the baby as much as she does, and offer to take care of the baby so she can get enough rest.
• Make the mom happy. Buy the mom some flowers and tell her that she's beautiful. Let her know that she is doing a great job taking care of the baby. Nursing moms often forget to take care of themselves, so the people around her should take care of her.
Family and friends play a huge role in a mom's breastfeeding journey. Don't overlook the power of support. (source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joy-kosak/5-ways-to-support-breastf_b_5693132.html)